Wednesday 8 October 2014

Review: Miss Manga Mascara


As long as I can remember I've wanted colourful mascara. I mean, I wanted colourful hair but colourful eyelashes seemed like a more reasonable goal. So when I saw that L'Oreal Miss Manga Mascara came in three bright shades, I was excited.

I contained myself, and didn't buy it right away, but a few days ago I was in the cosmetics aisle prepping for my back to school look and I picked it up.

There was only one thing I forgot to take into account: my nearly black eyelashes. 

So I went online in search of a primer that was actually white, instead of just being a base coat. Two options came up, spending $11 on the L'Oreal Double Extend Mascara only to use one end, or spending $5 on the Hard Candy Primer that didn't have white colouration, but white fibers.




Talking about the latter led to a rather funny conversation with my roommate in which I tried to explain the concept and she ended up referring to the stuff in it as "debris" which after buying it, I'm not inclined to argue. 

Not only did I buy the Hard Candy one, I also bought the L'Oreal one... which was kind of a bad idea. The Hard Candy one was a good primer, I don't have anything bad to say about it, but it didn't suit my purpose, it didn't make the purple show. So I moved on to the L'Oreal one, which was actually was white in colour, or at least more white than the Hard Candy one.

This was not a success. The combination of the Double Extend primer and the Miss Manga mascara was not a good one. It clumped and was sticky and the colour still didn't show up.

Rather than give up entirely on all the products, I decided to give the Double Extend a try as it's supposed to be used, with it's own mascara. When you use it right, it's much less disappointing! (pictured left) It's not a contender for favourite mascara, but I regret the money I spent on it much less
than I thought I did.

At that point I'd put so much effort into trying to make this mascara work that I didn't want to give up just yet. My next idea was to try and boost the look of the colour with purple eyeliner. (pictured right) This, I found somewhat more effective, but overall, I think it would still look better with black mascara.

So, sadly, I'm going to give this mascara a 3/10. Maybe I should have tried the bright blue.


Do you have any coloured mascara recommendations?


No comments:

Post a Comment